Sunday 9 October 2011

Sunday Suppers - Homemade Beef & Guinness Pie













Nothing quite ends off a weekend like a slow cooked pie, made from scratch!

I will admit that this was my very first attempt at making a pie, and although I classify this more like a stew with a little pastry lid on top, it's still very delicious and easy to make.


*Seal cubes of beef in a pan.

*Transfer to casserole dish, and in the same pan, add chopped onions and carrots, garlic and spices. Allow onions to brown slightly, then add the Guinness (we used the whole 440ml can - hic!).

*Simmer for a couple of minutes and add flour, or some sort of cook-in sauce - I used a "Hotpot Stew" powder, but the brand evades me for now!

*Stir continuously and allow the Guinness to reduce and flavour the sauce. Now I will admit at this point, while not following any recipe, I thought this was "it" for the pie. I was wrong. The Guinness was reeeeeally quite bitter, so add about half a tin of chopped tomatoes to the sauce.

*Add the sealed beef and diced potato and leave to simmer gently for as long as possible. We left it for almost two hours (!!)

*When ready, add to oven dish and leave to cool.

*Once the filling is cool, cover with puff pastry and brush with egg yolk.

*Place in the oven at about 190C for 35-40 min, or until the pastry topping is crispy and a lovely golden brown colour.


Slice open, plate up and enjoy!


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments.
They make me happy.